Thursday, January 7, 2010

No need for a cool title...it's Seattle!

So it's been a while since my last post, I took a break for the holidays (Halloween - New Years) so now I'm back on the horse and ready for some blogging. Now if you are not familiar with my blog let me refresh your memory, this blog is meant to serve as a sort of city guide (hence the name) so I will talk about restaurants, and sights to see in each city. I know I will probably miss things that you did when you were in one of these respective cities, however I can only review places that I have actually been to, but if you have suggestions of places to go next time please leave comments. Also I was not an english major nor do I claim to be a "writer" so I will have run on sentences and long paragraphs. One more thing, if I make you hungry reading this, I'm sorry! Imagine what I went through writing it! So with no further ado...

Back in October I got to experience a city I've always wanted to visit, the Emerald City, Seattle. Now I had the beautiful misfortune to have my visit fall on the beginning of the ever dreaded "rainy season", and all the terrible images of monsoon rains for months on end instantly came rushing to my mind. However, it only rained for two days and that rain was light and sporadic. Seattle is absolutely gorgeous (even in the rain), it is surrounded by water and hills giving you excellent views from almost anywhere in the city. There are several different districts in Seattle, there is the Public Market, Downtown, University, Ballard, Capital Hill, Queen Anne, and so many more, but these are the places I spent most of my time walking around and eating. In downtown there is an amazing place that I actually read about in the Delta magazine on my flight out there called Serious Pie, it was ranked the #3 pizza place in the country, behind joints in NYC and Chicago. So i figured I would head there on my first night, lucky for me it was friday and there was a 2 1/2 hour wait, so I put my name in (uh yes reservation for one...yea just me) and walked up the street a block to a great place called The Whiskey Bar, which was recommended by a guy standing in line for takeout at Serious Pie. The Whiskey Bar is an amazing place to grab a drink they have hundreds of whiskies from all over the world and bartenders that may or may not have written some sort of almanac at one point in their lives. I ordered a glass of Black Maple Hill, it was served warm, in a tumbler. This may have been the most delicious glass of alcohol I've ever tasted, hints of vanilla, and maple syrup hit your taste buds while the warm sensation works its way down to your stomach, this may also be why it cost $16 for like 4 oz of the stuff, I also had an Uptown Manhattan that was delicious. I stayed there until I got a call from the pizza place and took my seat at a table with 7 strangers. Serious Pie has seating for about 40 people and they are high tables with 6-8 stools at them, they fill the tables so unless you have a big party you will be sitting right next to random strangers, which would be cool, if you weren't by yourself, like me. Anyway, I ordered a pizza that sounded risky but definitely payed off, it had guanciale, soft egg, and dandelion greens, it was the best pizza I have ever had. I payed my bill and headed up the hill to try and get a good view of the city, after all I had just landed a few hours earlier. As I was climbing up these steep
streets I ran into a really friendly lady who told me a great place to see the city and also just chatted about how much she loved living in Seattle. I went to the place she spoke of and this is what I found. Yeah, I fell in love too. The next night I went to another place in Downtown called Lola, its actually owned by the same guy, Tom Douglas, who owns Serious Pie, as well as several other really good places in the city. I had a lamb burger with chickpea fries that was outstanding, really juicy, and great flavor, not to mention the place was cool as hell. Hotel Andra, a super swanky hotel, is attached to Lola and people were grabbing drinks at the bar and hanging out in the hotel's lounge which opens right up to the bar. If you're looking for a great place to grab a drink downtown I would definitely suggest The Tap House Grill it is really nice inside, a place you could go after a really nice dinner or show, or just a night out with friends. They have 160 beers on tap, a billiards room and a late night happy hour from 10-12. Another great place to go grab some drinks with friends is a place called Peso's Kitchen, this is a really popular spot for nightlife, I went on a saturday night and the place was crawling with 20 somethings hanging out and enjoying some great drinks and a really cool atmosphere. If you need a bite to eat after Peso's just walk across the street to Pagliacci's Pizza, they have locations all over Seattle and it's really good, and cheap! Another good pizza place near downtown, in Queen Ann is called Zeeks, and they have great deals on pizza and beer, a good place to grab lunch. Downtown is full of really cool places to eat and drink these were just the places I had time to visit.

Of course one of the biggest tourist attractions in Seattle is the Public Market. This is where you will see guys throwing fish around, singing songs about produce and artists showing off their jewelry, photographs, paintings, clothing and nicknacks. There are some awesome specialty shops there too selling wines, cheeses, chocolates all kind of things. Of course there is also the original Starbucks store right there down on Pike Place (if you didn't
know thats why the coffee is called that). That is a must see for all you coffee nuts out there, there is also this awesome place called The Confectional that sells mini cheesecakes that will blow your mind, I had pumpkin and raspberry white chocolate. There is another place that will satisfy your sweet tooth called the Daily Dozen Doughnut Company, my favorites were the cinnamon sugar and the powdered brown sugar ones. Its really a cool experience, they hand make their doughnut holes and then put them in a brown paper bag. Then they shake them with whatever toppings you want and throw them high in the air only to catch it with the other hand in another brown paper bag. You have to make sure that no matter what you take an afternoon to check out the market in full swing because it is definitely something to see, and if you can find it, go down the stairs in the market to the back alley, there is a wall completely covered in gum, at least 75 yards long and 8 feet tall, covered with peoples names, cartoon characters, inappropriate words, all kinds of things, all made out of chewed bubble gum. Its definitely a sight to behold.

Not far from downtown lies the beautiful campus of the University of Washington. If you have the time I would take a walk around this campus, it is absolutely gorgeous. The main street right by campus has tons of bars, restaurants and stores to check out, two places I went to were Big Time Brewery and Agua Verde. Big Time Brewery is right on University Way so you can't miss it. They have a great selection of in-house beers as well as a pretty good menu. They also have a pretty amazing deal on Tuesday nights where you buy a pizza and get a pitcher of beer for $1. I tried one of their sampler and got 6 different
brews, all very good. The other place, Agua Verde, is not quite so easy to find, however it is well worth the drive. I went with a friend and sat out back on the patio, which is right on the water. During the day you will see boaters go by, and even the UW Crew team. They have great mexican cuisine, and sometimes even live music. I got a pulled pork burrito and chips and guacamole as well as a margarita. They also have all kinds of homemade salsas so try them all! Everything was fantastic and I highly recommend it. (shout out to my friend Kaite Kaminske for taking me there).

Another cool part of town is Capital Hill, this is the hippie, indie, gay pride, part of town. There are some good shopping and coffee places there, but three places you absolutely have to try are Dick's Drive-In , which is an In-n-Out type burger joint that is really good, and open late. Be careful though because they only take cash, and you have to eat outside, so go on a nice day. Second place to check out is Molly Moons Ice Cream, they have amazing ice cream obviously, I had pumpkin clove...need I say more? And last but most definitely not least, is Trophy Cupcakes. I'm sure you all are aware of the two big dessert fads sweeping the nation, frozen yogurt and cupcakes but I promise you this place is legit and their cupcakes are to die for. I had a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter icing that will most assuredly give you a cavity.

The last part of town I will discuss may have been one of my favorites, its a little up and coming town north of downtown called Ballard. I spent two days here walking around and checking out all the shops and whatnot. One night I grabbed dinner at a place my co-workers recommended called The Matador, this place is sick! I absolutely loved it, they have great food, amazing atmosphere and it is a tequila bar, so needless to say their margaritas are to die for. High Life is another great place to eat in Ballard. It is an old firehouse that they restored to make a really cool restaurant and bar. They have great food and a really big bar. As far as coffee places go, Cafe Fiore might be one of the coolest coffee shops I've ever been to, I just wanted to pull out a good book, or hop on my laptop and hang out there. They have really good organic coffee and amazing espresso drinks. And last but not least I have yet another cupcake place to suggest. Cupcake Royale has the self proclaimed "best cupcakes in Seattle" and I would say I have to agree. They have a ton of different flavors and you can order online and have them cater your wedding if you'd like. The place is great and if I had to pick between Royale and Trophy I would go with Cupcake Royale.

Ok I can't possible talk about food anymore, I'm going to go crazy, fortunately for me those are basically all the places I went to while I was there. So I hope this was interesting, but more importantly I hope you will use this as a resource for your own travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger